Some six or seven miles southwest of Cambridge is located a small hamlet called Church Creek. Church Creek is a very old town, tracing its heritage to nearby Old Trinity Church circa 1675, the oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use in the United States. It was so named because the village was established on a small creek, an arm of Fishing Creek. Old Trinity burying ground is almost as historically famous as the church itself with graves of many Revolutionary War Veterans and members of the distinguished Carroll family. Several homes in Church Creek date back to the 18th century and are being preserved and maintained. The area with its abundance of white oak and pine was natural for shipbuilding, which thrived for many years.