The Dorchester Chamber of Commerce was founded in November 1921 as the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce. The first president was Robert H. Matthews. Incorporation was undertaken in February, 1941.
In 1974, the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce became the Dorchester Chamber of Commerce to serve the needs of the entire county.
During its early history, in addition to business advocacy, the Chamber served as a tourism council and economic development department for Cambridge and the County out of its office in the downtown area.
In 1969 the Chamber moved from 307 High Street to Route 50, and remained in that location until the visitor center was built and the County took over operation of the visitor center.
In 1998 the Chamber returned downtown to its present location at 528 Poplar Street.